Be amongst the first to find out why Scotland's only 2-Michelin starred chef, Andrew Fairlie, and Scotland's chef of the year 2011 are so excited about our new foraging manual. It's due for an early launch at the Big Tent Festival, Falkland Estate, Fife on Sunday 22nd July at the Big Tent Festival. The Scottish Wild Harvests Association and Reforesting Scotland will be jointly staging an event at noon. There are plenty of other opportunities at the festival to explore the topic, from guided foraging walks to local, sustainable food at the Fife Diet talk.
If you can't make the Big Tent, you can see editor Fi Martynoga at Blackwell Bookshop, Edinburgh South Bridge on Thursday 26th July at 6.30pm – and Fi will be cooking up a recipe from the book for guests to sample. See you there!
Since the digital revolution gathered momentum it seems there’s a new format of book every day, but it’s rare that any publisher gets to announce a genuine innovation. We’re delighted to reveal a ground-breaking concept. Our debut Whisperbook™, which is released today, is the world’s first audiobook specifically designed for listening at bedtime, to help lull the listener off to sleep.
To launch our Whisperbook™ series, we hired May Nötjet, the UK’s foremost whisper-specialist voice-over artist, to record an unabridged version of Laura Marney’s recently reissued best-selling novel No Wonder I Take a Drink. Listen to the preview and see what you think!
Why the Whisperbook™? After extensive research with focus groups and industry experts, we determined not only that there’s a gap in the market for today’s stressed, sleep-deprived, information-overloaded readers, but that the Whisperbook™ brings added value that other digital book innovations lack. Several leading psychologists have endorsed the product, commenting that the experience of listening promotes REM sleep and general mental health – perhaps because it evokes the sound of our parent preparing to put down the book and kiss our infant selves goodnight.
The Whisperbook™ comes with all the convenience readers expect: it can be downloaded instantly; it is available from all reading and audio e-tailers; it is device agnostic, so it can be played on any smartphone, iPod, mp3 player, sound-enabled e-reader, tablet or computer; and it works offline, so no connectivity is necessary once it’s downloaded.
Author Laura Marney has been enthusiastic about the experiment from the start: “I’m thrilled to be part of this exciting new project, and also somewhat amused that I will be known to a new generation of readers via the whisper, when I’ve so far been better known for speaking up at full blast.” Publishing Scotland CEO Marion Sinclair added, “The Whisperbook concept demonstrates how Scotland's publishers punch well above their weight when it comes to innovation, creativity and business ambition. We look forward to seeing this format rolled out to our other member publishers and beyond.”
Producing a new audio format has entailed many tests and technical stages. We are grateful to our generous sponsors, Horlicks and Whispa, for their support during the R&D. With their help we have been able to launch our debut title at a price in line with the other formats for the book.
No Wonder I Take a Drink will also be released in standard audiobook format this summer.
So: listen, enjoy and zzzzzzzzzz….
- Laura Marney joins Saraband and relaunches bestsellers
- More dazzling reviews for Beneath Cold Seas
- Making Shore is shortlisted for Chambery Festival of First Novels 2012
- Panda: online gallery featured on BBC Discover WIldlife site
- Burns Night app on iTunes New & Noteworthy front page
- Panda: Back from the Brink is BBC WIldlife's Book of the Month
- New Burns Night app takes the Bard into digital age
- BBC Discover Wildlife magazine features Beneath Cold Seas in online gallery
- Pioneer Women: German translation
- Warm review reception for Beneath Cold Seas
- Digital publishing in Scotland
- Panda Express takes off
- Countdown to Pandamonium!
- Panda - Back from the Brink: launch and slideshow with Iain Valentine in Edinburgh
- Making Shore reviewed in Oxford Today
- BBC website features the story behind Making Shore
- Preview of stunning underwater photography book Beneath Cold Seas
- Making Shore - WINNER of the 2011 People's Book Prize!
- People's Book Prize updates on Making Shore Facebook page
- Handbook of Scotland's Trees is book of the month at Books From Scotland!