"There have been any number of stunningly illustrated books on Mayan civilisation: for a long time, though, we couldn't do much more than gaze dumbfounded. While much remains mysterious, in recent decades archaeologists have revealed an enormous amount about this amazing culture. We can thus gawp with more purpose – especially now we have Clare Gibson's guide. The colour pictures are here, but so too are the extracted details, which enable her to account for the form and elucidate the meaning of each one. Not just a beautiful but a revelatory book."
To celebrate our new title Woodlanders: New Life in Britain's Forests, a special exhibition will feature a selection of photographs from the book at Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh from Thursday 16th September to Sunday 31st October in the Gateway Gallery, which is in the upper level of the John Hope Gateway. The exhibition is free, and booking is not required.
If you haven't yet visited the John Hope Gateway, the new biodiversity and information centre, it's a spectacular new building and worth a visit in itself. Opened earlier in 2010, it is beautifully designed, constructed of efficient, sustainable materials, and includes a shop, exhibition spaces, restaurant and education rooms.
Watch for further announcements, because the exhibition may visit other venues after its Edinburgh opening.
- Garden Cottage Diaries - new paperback edition
- *New* Hidden Life of the Ancient Maya
- Delighted to be Publisher of the Month for Books From Scotland's website!
- Making Shore launches in Suffolk & Lancs sell out
- Making Shore reviewed on bookgeeks
- Sara Allerton in double-spread feature in East Anglian Daily Times
- Making Shore leading in votes for the People's Book Prize! Vote now!
- Video of the story behind Making Shore
- New review for the Sky Handbook from New Leaf News
- Exciting debut novel, Making Shore, endorsed by Ed Stourton, Lord Butler and others
- Revised edition of ARCHITECTURE: A Spotter's Guide available mid-May
- Awards for the authors of Pioneer Women
- John-Paul Flintoff /Times comment on Garden Cottage Diaries
- Garden Cottage Diaries, by Fiona J. Houston, is published in German
- New review on Art Book Review site of Hidden Life of Ancient Egypt
- New discoveries of Tutankhamun's life (and death?) as a warrior
- New tomb find at Giza renews interest in daily life in ancient Egypt
- Scottish Ballet: 40 Years – new reviews for 2010
- Hidden Life of Ancient Egypt reviewed by Egyptology UK
- The List selects Garden Cottage Diaries as a recommended Christmas gift